A few weeks ago, we had the pleasure of leaving the cold, windy city of Chicago to journey down to the beautiful and sunny Ft. Lauderdale for the 2nd Wireless Repair Roundup. The purpose of the roundup was to bring the wireless repair industry together in a more intimate setting. For one day, we could put on our collective thinking caps and discuss the important themes that are shaping our industry and what’s to come in the next few years. The event was put together by Michelle James, who is responsible for the birth of the Wireless Repair Expo which was under the CTIA umbrella, until moving to Mobile World Congress starting this year.
The event kicked off with a cocktail reception on Tuesday evening. There, we got the chance to mingle with other roundup attendees just steps away form the ocean to discuss what brought us to the show and what we hoped to get out of it. There was a larger number of people that were there for their 2nd Roundup, and even better to see, there were new faces who were having their first experience with the wireless repair community.
ReVamp Wholesale was proud to be a Premier Sponsor for the event as well as the kickoff presentation for the Roundup. ReVamp alongside 3 other domestic suppliers discussed:
- The current status on supply chain and what it means to source parts that are of a consistent quality versus parts that are name brand.
- The benefits of strategic domestic partnerships and the ups and downs of working with China
- The value of your time as a business owner, and how working with a domestic partner can help you make the most of your minutes.
- The importance of building your brand.
- What to expect of the industry for 2017 and beyond. Shop owners will start to see the need for phone and tablet repairs to go down. As a result, this would be a great time to start investing in education about smart home devices, drones, etc.
The rest of the day was filled with talented and knowledgeable players in the Wireless Repair Industry. There was a great mix of speakers that focused on different areas to improve your brand and business. Topics that were covered by guest speakers include:
- How to optimize your revenue by up-selling accessories to your customers.
- How automation can make your life easier. Setting up best-practice automations takes a small investment of time, but once done, automation pays dividends by giving you the opportunity to focus on growing your business instead of just running it day in and day out.
- Hiring the “right” people – One of the hardest things about growing a business is finding the right staff members who will preserve and upkeep your brand promise and service, but doing so is vital in ensuring longevity.
- The importance of an inviting store atmosphere and how it can help grow your sales.
The key theme of this roundup was, “How can we all play in this Wireless Repair ‘Sandbox’ Together?”- It might seem counterproductive to have a bunch of competitors at an event together, but there is plenty room in the industry for all of us to “play together,” even with the fragmentation of this emerging industry. Competition is healthy so long as it doesn’t interfere with your main focus-your customers.
We want to give another special shout-out to Michelle James for putting together another fantastic Wireless Repair Roundup and a special thanks to the wonderful and always charismatic Jeremy Willis who was the MC of the day and kept the room engaged and upbeat. We look forward to the next Wireless Repair Roundup coming in May!
Author: Jessica Cromer
Jessica | Director of Customer Relations at ReVamp Electronics